32 Prince Street (2015), site of the original Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum and later St. Patrick’s School.
In 1853 the asylum was located across Prince Street opposite St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Detail, Plate 24, New York Public Library Digital Collection ID 1648087.
The 1860 Census for New York City’s 14th Ward, 3rd District lists all the girls living at 32 Prince Street under the care of the Sisters of Charity. This was a New York community which split from the Emmitsburg, MD Sisters of Charity in 1846. At the time, the New York sisters were operating 3 orphanages as well as 6 schools (both academies and free schools).
The original site for the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum was 32 Prince Street. By 1865, only female orphans still lived there; the boys had been moved uptown to a new building next to the site where St. Patrick’s Cathedral was under construction. New York Public Library DigID 805048
Photo by Marion R. Casey, 23 April 2018.